Tutors for the ALC play a key part in our mission. If you are interested in volunteering as a tutor, please read the following tutor description and fill out the brief inquiry form below.
Purpose: To help adult learners gain literacy and/or English language skills.
Training: A three-hour orientation session is required. In-service training sessions will be made available but are not required ó only encouraged.
Place of Work: Preferably one of the Johnson County Public Library branches or the Greenwood Public Library. Otherwise any quiet, public location such as a church.
Duration of work: The minimum is one hour per week. Please be advised that students will make faster progress if meetings are more frequent.
Qualifications: Tutors must beÖ
- 18 years or older
- Flexible, dependable, and prompt
- Interested in and enjoy relating to a variety of people
- Willing to maintain the confidentiality of the lessons
- Literate in the English language (although professional training is not necessary).
- Provide encouragement and help to your student by:
- Helping your student develop confidence and a desire to learn by acknowledging and affirming his/her thinking and progress.
- Showing respect for your studentís needs and wants by listening to him/her and involving him/her in the decision making process.
- Selecting materials and techniques that fulfill your studentís needs and build on their learning strengths and are appropriate to their age and skill level.
- Supporting your student through difficult material or tasks and not being critical of his/her mistakes.
- Being open to learning and understanding your studentís life and the obstacles that he/she may be facing physically, socially, and psychologically.
- Meeting regularly and punctually.
- Come to each lesson prepared with lessons designed for your studentís individual needs and current abilities.
- Be consistent about reviewing your studentís independent work with him/her.
- Keep records of your studentís progress by commenting on your monthly report form.
- Turn in a monthly report form to the Adult Learning Center. Keep the ALC staff abreast of any changes in schedule, location, or contact information for you and your student.