Many in our community may be experiencing homelessness or food insecurity.  Local nonprofit organizations can provide support for unhoused and food-insecure people and families within Johnson County. 

Titles and resources listed below have been compiled by JCPL librarians to raise awareness.

Homelessness and Food Insecurity Books and Films

Homelessness and Food Insecurity Resources for Children and Teens

I need food assistance. Where can I get help?

  • Community Meals
    Community Meals are served daily at several churches in Johnson county. The meals are free and open to anyone. 
  • Food Assistance Availability Map
    This site is designed to help you find available food resources near you. To use the map, enter your address in the search tool. Food assistance such as food pantries and meal sites within five miles will be listed.
  • Great Harvest Food Pantry
    New Whiteland area food pantry for Johnson County residents; proof of residency with a picture ID is required.
  • Johnson County Helpline
    Information and referral service that provides phone numbers, contact information and guidance to social services resources. Available for Johnson County residents needing help with food, medical, housing, etc.
  • Johnson County WIC
    Johnson County WIC is dedicated to providing real support for you and your family to become healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Pregnant women, Postpartum women, infants and children up to age 5 are categorically eligible to participate in the WIC Program.
  • Saints Francis & Clare Parish Harvest Food Pantry
    5901 Olive Branch Road, Greenwood, IN
    Food pantry operated out of Saints Francis & Clare Parish, providing food for residents of Johnson and Morgan counties; proof of residency is required.
  • The Lord's Locker
    P.O. Box 327
    106 E. Pearl Street, Trafalgar, IN
    Faith-based organization providing food, clothing and household items to residents of Johnson, Morgan and Brown counties; a picture ID and Social Security numbers for all family members is required.
  • 24/7 Little Free Pantry
    Greenwood area walk-up pantry and library set out by the sidewalk and open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I need housing assistance. Where can I get help?

  • Dayspring Center
    Resource center located in Indianapolis offers 24-hour emergency housing for those facing a crisis situation, as well as case management and long-term housing to address needs more deeply.

  • Human Services, Inc.
    Organization that offers various services to meet the basic needs of individuals from Bartholomew, Brown, Decatur, Jackson, Johnson and Shelby counties.

  • KIC-IT
    Franklin-based organization serves homeless youth (ages 16-25), offering a drop-in center, hot meals, case management and transportation.