Citation and Writing Guides
The Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) - Over 200 free resources including:
- ESL (English as a Second Language)
- Grammar and Mechanics
- Job Search and Professional Writing
- Style Guides
- Writing and Teaching Writing
JCPL's Online Catalog
Tutors, Online Help, and Study Guides
- Ask Rose - Rose Hulman Institute of Technology's Homework Hotline. Provides FREE math and science homework help to Indiana students in grades 6-12.
- The Homework Spot - Find the best K-12 homework resources organized by subject and grade-level.
- CliffsNotes - Complete and free.
- Shmoop - Entertain your brain while studying books, plays, short stories, poems, and U.S. history.
Websites and Subject Guides
- American Decades Primary Sources - Includes full or excerpted primary sources representing the seminal issues, themes, movements and events from 1910-1919. Includes oral histories, songs, speeches, advertisements, TV, play and movie scripts, letters, laws, legal decisions, newspaper articles, cartoons, recipes, and more.
- Checks and Balances: The Three Branches of the American Government - Presents easy-to-understand information about the inner workings of the federal government.
- Encyclopedia of Comic Books and Graphic Novels - Focuses on English-language comics, plus a small selection of influential Japanese and European works, with special emphasis on the new graphic novel format that emerged in the 1970s.
- Encyclopedia of World Cultures - This reference set lists and describes more than 1,500 global cultures. Based on the research of social scientists, it is the source for historical, social, political, economic, linguistic, religious, and other information on virtually every existing culture.
- Nonfiction Classics for Students: Presenting Analysis, Context, and Criticism on Nonfiction Works - Provides critical overviews on the most frequently studied nonfiction essays, books, biographies, and memoirs. Includes discussions of literary format, themes, and structure.
- Reference Desk - Fact checker for the Internet.
- World Digital Library - The World Digital Library (WDL) makes available on the Internet, free of charge and in multilingual format, significant primary materials from countries and cultures around the world.
- World History Encyclopedia - A free online history encyclopedia with fact-checked articles, images, videos, maps, timelines and more.
- Biography in Context - (Library card login required) - Covering a vast array of people from historically significant figures to present-day newsmakers, it’s continuously updated to ensure that students have access to the very latest information.
- Biographical Dictionary - Covers notable men and women who have shaped our world from ancient to the present day.
- Biography.com - Search over 25,000 of the greatest lives, past and present.
- Infoplease - Biographies Search more than 30,000 biographies in almanacs, a dictionary, and an encyclopedia.