Historical Room Guidelines
Historical Room Research Guidelines
The Johnson County Public Library will provide limited research assistance for specific questions from materials in the Historical Room. Dates, location, names (with variant spellings) should be specific and legibly written.
Library Research: assistance provided as much as possible in-person using available resources; please call 317-738-9711 to determine availability. Other research (via telephone/mail) performed by library staff is on a limited basis only.
In-depth Research: library staff cannot perform in-depth research, but lists of researchers can be found through the Indiana Genealogical Society or the Indiana Historical Society.
Fees: no fee for research by staff or volunteers; photocopying charges $.10 per sheet (black and white, letter/legal size), $.25 per sheet (tabloid size).
Historical Room Public Use Guidelines
- All users must register at the adult reference desk before entering the room. By registering, users agree to adhere to Historical Room Use Policy and Procedures.
- Materials stored in the locked cases must be requested from and retrieved by the librarian. One or more items may be retrieved at a time, as deemed appropriate by the librarian. The patron should notify the librarian when finished with an item from the locked case, so that it can be promptly returned to it.
- Items in the locked case marked with a green dot are not for public use. There should be a duplicate copy of the item available on the open shelves within the Historical Room.
- Materials must be used within the Historical room (except as noted above or when making photocopies).
- Items from the locked case or items in acid-free wraps or boxes may not be photocopied.
- Only library staff will re-shelve materials.
- All items are designated as reference materials and cannot be checked out.
- Window shades must remain closed at all times.
- Any damaged items should be reported to the librarian immediately.
- Smoking, food and drink are prohibited in the Historical Room.
- The Library has one microfilm reader that prints to a copy machine. Printing costs 10¢ per page.
- Report any malfunctioning equipment to the librarian.
- Please ask for assistance with staff member working in the room or at reference desk.