Libraries are for Everyone: You Belong at JCPL
Libraries are places of opportunity – where all people can develop, grow, and contribute. As a trusted and enduring institution, the Johnson County Public Library aspires to be an essential participant in progress towards social equity. We recognize that the well-being of our library and our community depends on the participation of EVERY person.
At Johnson County Public Library, we honor the diversity of the community we serve through our core values:
- Community: Provide a gathering place where all people are welcome and treated respectfully
- Service: Treat everyone with respect and dignity
- Making a Difference: Work together to foster positive change
JCPL actively affirms the dignity of those it serves and is committed to providing an environment free from discrimination for all, including but not limited to heritage, citizenship, education, race, socioeconomic and housing status, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, abilities, political affiliations, familial status, or military/veteran status.
We are committed to making diversity and inclusion a priority in decision making for collections, services, and organizational change. Our goal is to create an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful organization that appreciates and supports individual differences, while also providing access to information to allow our community to learn and grow together. As part of this commitment, JCPL will:
- Create physical and virtual spaces that are welcoming to all
- Foster a culture of empathy and respect through staff training and development
- Maintain a comprehensive collection featuring a wide array of characters, voices, and perspectives
- Provide varied programs and experiences that facilitate respectful discussions and increase understanding of diversity in our community and around the world
- Work with diverse communities in Johnson County to develop inclusive collections, programs, and services
- Create annual equity objectives with measurable goals in support of this diversity statement