The JCPL Adult Learning Center is Proud to be Part of Welcoming Week 2021
Welcoming Week is an annual celebration and campaign organized by Welcoming America that encourages communities to be welcoming places for all residents, including immigrants, despite differences in backgrounds. From September 10-19, the Adult Learning Center’s goal is to consciously help our neighbors feel seen, welcome and included in our community.
No matter where you are from, we are glad you are here!
Be a Welcomer
Join us during Welcoming Week to celebrate the spirit of welcoming in Johnson County! Demonstrate your dedication to creating a welcoming community by downloading and personalizing one of these signs. Take a picture with your sign and post it on your social media or the ALC's Facebook page with #BelongingBeginsWithUs and #WelcomingWeek 2021.
You can contribute to creating a welcoming community in Johnson County all year by volunteering as a tutor in the Adult Learning Center. The ALC offers tutoring in adult basic education and English as a Second Language to residents.
If you’re interested in meeting and helping your international neighbors feel welcome, then contact the ALC to learn about current tutoring opportunities.
Stop by one of our branches to view our Literacy Month lobby displays, presented by our Adult Learning Center. The Adult Learning Center offers free tutoring services to adult residents and helps them prepare for many types of exams, including the High School Equivalency and citizenship test. Adults who need to learn English as a second language can participate in conversation groups, book discussions and beginning ESL lessons. Take a look at our September calendar of classes.
Read our interview with Adult Learning Center Coordinator Wendy Preilis
Learn more about the different ways the Johnson County Public Library promotes literacy for all ages!
- Check out an Adult Launchpad (tablets that are pre-loaded with brain exercises, grammar lessons, exploration of American culture, citizenship help and more)
- Support the JCPL Foundation which funds our literacy-based programming
- Launching early literacy initiatives including the A-B-C Read to Me program and 1000 Books Before Kindergarten
- Sign up for one of our online Zoom programs: there are storytimes, book discussions, craft programs and more for all ages. Don't know how to use Zoom? We can teach you!
- Visit one of our library branches and learn something new
- Need a library card? Apply online
Libraries are for Everyone -- Learn More