Using Zoom for JCPL Virtual Programs
Zoom is a video conferencing program that is free of charge for you to use to attend our virtual programs. It works on PCs, laptops, tablets, and phones. It allows you to see and listen to the program, and if you have a microphone, talk with the presenter.
Do I Need a Lot of Equipment?
- You can use your phone, tablet or PC.
- A camera is not required.
- Speakers are needed, tablets, phones, and most PCs, have them built in.
- A microphone is optional. You won’t be able to speak to the presenter without one.
Preparing for Your First Virtual Program
- You need to register for the JCPL program you want to attend. Click here to register.
- Before the meeting you will receive an email from the library with the information you need to
“attend” the program and link to join the meeting.
- Please download the Zoom app before the meeting. You can do so here.
- You do not need to create a Zoom account to participate.
- If you do not want to install Zoom, you can click the link to continue in your browser.
o Just enter the meeting ID from your email and click “Join".
Joining the Virtual Program Via Zoom
- The email about the program will contain all the information you need to join the presentation.
- The easiest way to join the meeting is to click the link in the email.
- Look for a link like this in the email:
o Join Zoom Meeting https://us04web.zoom.us/j/12345673210?pwd
- For a tutorial you can watch this Zoom video on joining a meeting.
- When you first join the virtual program you will enter a “Waiting Room.”
- The presenter will confirm you are registered and allow you in.
o This assures that only those who registered will be in the room and helps address privacy concerns.
- Note some features of Zoom may be disabled during a JCPL virtual program.
Your Controls in the Virtual Program
- Mute / Unmute: Mute and unmute your microphone.
o Audio Controls (click the ^ arrow next to Mute / Unmute): Allows you to access the full audio settings.
- Start Video / Stop Video: Turns your camera on or off.
o Video Controls (click the ^ arrow next to Start Video / Stop Video): Change cameras if you have multiple cameras, select a virtual background (if enabled), or access your full video settings.
- Chat: Access the chat window to chat with the participants, if allowed by the presenter.
Adjusting Your View
- You can choose to see just the presenter or to view all the attendees, if the presenter allows it.
o Click Speaker View or Gallery View in the top-right corner of the video window.
Need More Help?