Do you have overdue fines on your library card? Now you can read those fines away.
How do I read down my fines?
- Go to any reference desk at a JCPL branch and tell the librarian you want to read down your fines.
- The librarian will sign you in and mark down your start time. (In order to be eligible, you must be signed in and complete your reading in the library.)
- When you're done reading, stop by the desk again and sign out. The librarian will give you a voucher for the amount of time you read. All reading must be completed thirty minutes before the library closes.
How much of my fines can I read down?
- Every 15 minutes of reading is worth $1.00. You can read down any and all of your overdue fines and/or processing fees. Replacement charges for lost items are not eligible. Reading time cannot be applied to future fines.
Who can participate in Read Down Your Fines?
- JCPL patrons of all ages can participate. You can only read down fines on your own library card. If a child is too young to read alone, a parent or sibling may sit and read to him/her.
For complete rules and more information, contact your library branch.